Blackstone griddles are an amazing way to enjoy barbecue from backyard cookouts to tailgate parties to a family BBQ. The key difference with using a Blackstone griddle and using a grill is the cooking surface. Griddles have a smooth flat cooking surface and require different techniques to use. This guide reviews the leading Blackstone griddle features and answers all your questions about griddle vs. grill and why Blackstone griddles is so popular.
Blackstone Griddle vs A BBQ Grill
The difference in griddle vs grill is all about the cooking surface. Griddles and BBQ grills are somewhat interchangeable for some food. Because of their different cooking surfaces and how the heat is applied to the food you can get very different results. Before you buy a griddle it’s important to understand the features that a Blackstone griddle offers over using a grill.
The Blackstone griddle is like the griddle you may have seen in a diner and it works similar to a hotplate. A flat, smooth metal surface with the heat coming directly from underneath. Your food cooks directly on it and it works like a frying pan does on a stove. The oil or grease that comes with cooking goes into a front or rear grease tray.
A grill will have grates or bars that cook the food directly over an open flame. This open flame type grill surface is what you see on most barbecue grills. The heat cooks the food and the grates allow the oil and grease to run down in between the burners to the bottom of the grill.
There is one more difference I need to mention. Since there is no flame exposure, you won’t get that same charred flavor as a grill.
Some people miss that grilled taste and still keep a grill handy when they want a nice seared steak!
I can’t argue with that, but if you’re looking to get more vegetables into your diet or want a way to make meals all day long, a griddle is a great addition to your outdoor cooking options.
Why Are Blackstone Griddles So Popular?
Outdoor cooking is a passion for many of us. We like to show off our grill cooking skills and Blackstone griddles gives you a unique way to do that.
Blackstone griddles first came out in 2008 with the 36” Blackstone Griddle. It’s the original and still the most popular model today. Blackstone now has 17″, 22″ and 28″ griddles, portable griddles, electric table-top griddles and recently introduced a griddle and air fryer bundle.
Depending on the size, the griddles have two to four burners beneath a steel griddle top that can reach 60,000 BTUs. You might have seen this griddle on Youtube or TikTok, cooking anything from pancakes, eggs and hash browns to rib eye steaks, burgers and hot dogs.
Blackstone griddles are popular for several reasons including that you can cook a large variety of dishes. Sure they might be a little pricey, but are well worth the investment. There are multiple sizes ranging from 17″ to 38″ and economy models to Pro Series. And they are easier than a standard grill when it comes to using, seasoning and cleaning.
Blackstone Griddle Models for All
- Blackstone Model 1517 Flat Top Gas Grill Griddle 2 Burner Propane Fuel. This is a popular 28 ” model for camping with a built in cutting board and garbage holder.
- Blackstone Adventure Ready 17 and Adventure Ready 28. Portable griddles with two cooking zones.
- Blackstone Electric Griddle Model 8001. Perfect for apartments or those with limited space. It’s a no-hassle and gas-free electric griddle.
- Blackstone Pro Series 36. Model 1902. 768 square-inch cooking surface with 4 burner zones and up to 60,000 BTUs of cooking power.
Blackstone griddles are popular for a few reasons
- They get used often. Griddles tend to get used more than a grill because they can be used for any meal during the day. Cook pancakes and eggs for breakfast, ham and cheese sandwiches for lunch and steak or hamburgers for dinner!
- Convenience. It’s easy to use and cooks food quickly with less flare ups than a grill. And you will spend less time scraping and cleaning on a griddle than on the grates and burners of a grill. Just scrape all the excess food and grease to the grease tray.
- Healthier cooking. While we all love our burgers and steaks, but you will be more likely to try different foods. Carrots, peppers, onions and other vegetables, eggs, fish and rice are also great for a Blackstone griddle.
- An even high temperature heat. Griddles create hot cooking temperatures and are designed to spread heat evenly across the flat cooking surface.
The Most Popular Blackstone Griddles
Blackstone 36 inch 4 Burner Flat Top Griddle. Model 1825.
The original flat top griddle.
Blackstone 1923 Air Fryer Combo Model 1923
Griddle with built in air fryer.
Blackstone 17 inch Portable, Flat Top Griddle. Model 1814.
Blackstone 36 Inch 4 Burner Flat Top Griddle with Side Shelf. Model 1554.
Blackstone 28 inch 2 burner Flat Top Griddle. Model 1517.
Season Your Griddle Before Using
Seasoning is what makes a griddle last a long time, creates a blackened stick-resistant coating and adds flavor. Similar to seasoning a cast iron skillet, your Blackstone griddle needs seasoning before you can use it. Seasoning a griddle bakes oil onto its surface. As the griddle heats, the oil gets carbonized and transforms from a liquid into a hardened coating.
My favorite seasoning oils are avocado, canola or peanut oil with a high smoke point. Avocado oil has a smoke point of 500 degrees Fahrenheit while canola and peanut oil have a smoke point of around 375-425 degrees Fahrenheit. In a pinch, you can use good old Crisco oil as it has a smoke point of about 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
How To Season Your Griddle
- Wipe the griddle clean. Even a brand new griddle will need to be wiped down. Remove any food residue every time you season the cooking surface.
- Preheat the griddle for about 10 minutes until it gets dark. Once the griddle gets dark, turn it off.
- Add the oil by applying a thin layer of high-heat oil to the surface of the griddle.
- Use heat resistant gloves to spread the seasoning oil evenly on the cooking surface with a paper towel.
- Turn the griddle back on and the surface will get dark again. This will take about 15-20 minutes until the smoke stops.
- Repeat as needed. Some people season their griddle every time they use it. I generally re-season about every five times.
why do you need to season your griddle?
The main reason to season is so your food won’t stick to the surface. Sticky food can be ruined and will make a mess. It also helps you keep your griddle looking good and gets rid of the grime. Seasoning just brings more flavor to the food and helps lock in the taste especially on meat. So get your oil ready and start to season to perfection!
Griddle Or Grill?
There is no right or wrong answer to this question! Grills and griddles offer different cooking surfaces and user techniques and picking the correct one is vital to getting the delicious food you’re looking for. The Blackstone flat top grill is a resourceful piece of equipment that will have you making restaurant quality meals right in your own backyard.
My own experience with a Blackstone griddle has been amazing! We replaced our Weber gas grill with a Blackstone griddle and love it. We do keep a small charcoal grill on backup just in case we run out of propane though. But griddles are simple to use and and you will adjust to any differences in cooking in a short time. They are perfect for the backyard and it can be used to make everything from pancakes to scrambled eggs to hamburgers and steak.