Home Depot offers a 10% military discount year round to military members, veterans and military spouses. The military discount is for all active duty and honorably discharged military veterans and their spouses.
Home Depot defines a “military veteran” as someone who has retired from the military. Currently that excludes anyone who served in the military but did not retire from service. Check Home Depot’s website for any changes to this policy.
The Home Depot discount is 10% off eligible purchases, up to $400 annually. Home Depot promo codes for a military discount are no longer available.
You know, just because I work at Lowe’s doesn’t mean I can’t shop at the competition every now and then!. The “Everyday” military discount at the Home Depot is 10% off and it’s available all year long, 365 days a year. There are a few exclusions.
Home Depot vs Lowe’s Military Discount
Both Home Depot and Lowe’s have military discounts. Here are the main differences:
- Home Depot’s military discount program is only for active, retired and disabled Veterans.
- Lowe’s military discount program includes all Veterans. Anyone who is serving or has been honorably discharged from the US military.
- Home Depot’s military discount is limited to $400 discount per year.
- Lowe’s military discount has no maximum dollar amount, but does limit the discount to $500 discount per transaction.
- Both require online verification, usually by submitting your DD-214 to their third party verification services.
- Both stores allow the discount on in store and online purchases and the purchases must be for personal use only.
- Lowe’s and Home Depot both offer a military discount for all on Veterans Day, Memorial Day and July 4th. This is usually the only exception they will make to the registration process and is only for in-store purchases.
- On those exception days, you will still need to provide a form of military ID including Veteran Health Identification Card (VHIC), VA card, state-issued driver’s license or ID with a Veterans designation or Department of Defense (DoD) Identification Card.
You will need to visit the official Home Depot and Lowe’s websites to register.
Register for the Home Depot Military Discount Here
Register for the Lowe’s military discount here
The Home Depot’s Military Discount Policy
The Home Depot military discount policy is pretty straight forward. Active members and veterans of the United States Military. Spouses can use the discount, but dependents of registered service members can not.
The Home Depot partners with SheerID, a third-party verification service which uses private and secure data sources to confirm the accuracy of the information you provide. The verification process typically takes five minutes or less and you can get discount offers online. This is a great Home Depot veterans discount program.
Who Is Eligible For The Home Depot Military Discount?
U.S. veterans, active service members and spouses are eligible for the benefit by registering online, in store our using The Home Depot app. You will receive a 10 percent discount on purchases. Registering with the Home Depot app makes it really faster and easy.
Active duty military personnel who served in
- The Army.
- The Navy.
- Air Force.
- Marine Corps.
- Coast Guard.
- Space Force, N.O.A.A, and U.S.P.H.S.
- Active National Guard and veterans are also eligible.
What Identification Is required for the Home Depot Military Discount?
You’ll need to show one of these eight ID’s when registering for the discount.
- Active Duty Military ID card w/ picture.
- Retired Military ID card w/ picture.
- VA Card with “Service” designation.
- DD-214 form.
- Valid driver’s license with “Veteran” designation.
- A service-connected VA Medical Center card..
- Active Military and Retired Military ID card for spouse.
Military discount exclusions
The Home Depot discount cannot be applied to select items, services and fees, including, but not limited to, some commodity products (including lumber, wire, building materials), value priced merchandise, appliances, tool rental fees, labor items, gift cards and services including freight and delivery.
You will only need to verify your military status once when you register for an account.
Once your account is set up, you may access the military discount for all eligible purchases online and at your Home Depot store.
How to Use Home Depot’s Military Discount
To use your discount in Home Depot stores, you have to have the Home Depot app on your phone.
At the register, log into the app and navigate to your account information. Scroll down in your customer profile to the “Military Discount Program” section. You should see an area that says “Scan Virtual ID” which features a QR code.
All veterans who have been honorably discharged are eligible for the discount. To receive the discount, both active duty members and veterans are required to be verified with SheerID. During this one-time process, you create an account that will allow the discount to be automatically applied when shopping online and a QR code to be scanned from your phone for in-store purchases.
What If You Don’t Have A Phone?
You use to be able to just walk into Home Depot and just show a military ID to get the discount. Not any longer. Veterans who are not tech savvy or just do not have a phone will run into some problems, but Home Depot says not to worry.
If you are having trouble registering, you can go online with a Home Depot customer service representatives who can walk you through getting registered for the military discount..
If you are in the store and need to verify military status, just go to the service desk.
The Lowe’s and Home Depot Military Discounts Are Similar
Both Lowe’s and Home Depot have similar military discounts. Here’s how the Lowes vs Home Depot military discounts compared.
- 10% off in-store and online purchases everyday.
- Available only to those currently serving, retired veterans, VA recipients and family members.
- Lowes maximum discount permitted is $500 per person per transaction.
- Home Depot maximum discount is $400 per year.
- Valid military ID required for purchase at Home Depot
- MyLowes card required for purchase at Lowes
- All veterans without a myLowes card, but proper military I.D., will receive the discount on Memorial Day, July 4th and Veterans Day at Lowes and Home Depot.
The discount highlights how Home Depot is a business that supports the military community through numerous discounts, deals and for active duty service members, veterans and their families. A “thank you” for all military members for their service.